Forum > Problem Solving > First Attempt. Not Bad, But Could Use Some More Advice Please?

Mikec Posted 04-Jun-2013 20:29
Joined:

Posts:
15-Apr-2013

7
Ok, I finally managed to have my first attempts at dipping today.

I dipped 4 yoghurt pots, each with different paint types.

There doesn't appear to be any compatibility issues between the primer, base paints, film, activator or lacquer.
I'm assuming if this is the case, then there wouldn't be any issues with other film's and I intend to stick to HW's activator throughout. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

So, onto the issues.

I am using the black and tan camo pattern with the clear background, Activator as supplied by HW and I tried 4 different paints. Plasticoat primer (without a top coat), Plasticoat satin beige over primer, Krylon Fusion khaki (without any primer as directed) and a weapon spray paint that I had left over from a year or so ago.

My dip tank is a plastic baby bath (The baby has been evicted) with a digital thermometer on the side about 4 cm's below the surface, and this is placed in the bottom of the bath tub with the shower running to act as my rinse station.

I had exactly the same problem with all four dips, regardless of the base coat.

I soaked the film (30.4 degrees at the first dip dropping to 29.8 at the last dip) for 60 seconds, then sprayed the activator and left it for 60 seconds.
I then dipped. As I dipped, parts of the pattern appeared to hang from the edges, it was like spider webs clinging to the pot, as I held it under the water for around a minute, I tried to wipe off some of the hanging pattern, this resulted in pulling some of the pattern with it is some places and bunching up some of it in places.
I'm thinking that I may not be applying enough activator in the first place, but I would really appreciate any advice especially if my thinking is wrong. Maybe I need to soak for longer, leave the activator for longer, or something completely different.

However, I am now completely addicted to dipping and have already ordered my next pattern and more activator.

So, Please help before I waste another 5 meters...??

Thank you,

Mike.

Report Abuse
 
Mikec Posted 04-Jun-2013 22:17
Joined:

Posts:
15-Apr-2013

7
just a quick update incase it's relevant to any advice.

I have had one last attempt (on an old baby's bottle) before packing up until my next day off..

I let the film soak for another 10 seconds, applied the activator as before, then took another faster pass to add a little more and left that for a further 15 seconds.

Exactly the same issue, maybe a little less pronounced, but that could just be my wishful thinking.

Also, I had an issue with the print missing the top of the bottle, but that was kind of expected and part of the experiment really. I will put a little roll into it next time and see how that works.

Thanks,

Mike.


Report Abuse
 
Lowtech Posted 19-Jun-2013 23:21
Joined:

Posts:
19-Jun-2013

13
Hi mike, i have brought the films and activator from here, regards to paint, I used for the fishing real, halfords white or grey primer and used a beige base colour also from halfords. My make shift tank is a plastic tub cost me a fiver and in use water from a immersion tank around 40 degrees+, I lay the film in making sure there are no air bubbles or creases for around a minute, then dip at about a 45 degree angle, I do get some stringing bits hanging off, but leave for about 5 mins to settle then shower off until or the resin left over has been washed off. 
You may know some of this already, just what I've picked up and played with, hope this helps you out.

Report Abuse
 
HawkOwl Web Design